- A bachelor’s degree in GIS, geography, computer science, planning, engineering
- Three years progressively responsible experience managing data in a geographic information systems environment. (this means ArcGIS, etc.)
- Two years’ experience in designing and creating maps to visualize spatial data and analysis, applying best practices in cartography.
- Two years’ experience in applying spatial methods of analysis and research in support of decision-making.
- OR an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Experience in quantitative analysis in the transportation industry.
- Experience in leading teams or projects and applying project management methods and techniques.
Entry Requirements for: Knowledge and Skills
Qualification to enter this position requires knowledge of the following:
Data and Analysis
- Software applications including spatial analysis tools, mapping, word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Principles and methods for analysis, research and evaluation; including spatial and statistical analysis techniques.
- Best practices related to data collection, processing, modeling, management, analysis, stewardship and reporting; including spatial analysis and relational database theory.
- Project management methods and techniques.
Qualification to enter this position requires skill in:
Data and Analysis
- Developing, managing and using spatial and tabular data and geographic information systems.
- Conducting studies by applying the principles and methods of data analysis, research and evaluation. Making recommendations based on findings.
- Consistently analyzing a variety of techniques and selecting the most appropriate, taking into account the goals, potential payback, resource requirements and possible drawbacks. Effectively communicating the justification for choosing specific techniques and how the technique will accomplish the desired goals.
- Compiling, processing, analyzing, and reporting various types of data to support decision making.
- Ensuring that data, analysis, and research are organized, documented, and communicated in a way that they can be understood, interpreted, and acted upon effectively.
- Communicating complex technical information effectively using verbal, written and visual communication skills including public speaking. Adapting communication style to various audiences.
- Designing and creating maps to communicate complex spatial information.
- Interpretation of spatial data information including aerial photos or imagery.
- The use of computers and a variety of software including ArcGIS, Excel, Word, and Outlook.
Organizational influence and leadership
- Gaining the support of others through persuasiveness, credibility and expertise. Inspiring others to collaborate voluntarily.
- Communicating effectively within interdisciplinary teams; including sharing accurate and pertinent information in a timely manner.
- Consistently building and maintaining positive working relationships internally and externally, even in times of stress and conflict.
- Participating in, facilitating, and supporting conflict resolution; exchanging feedback in an open, constructive, and professional manner.
- Leading efforts to collaboratively make decisions, establish and meet timelines and deliver results that meet customer needs.
- Improving work processes and efficiency.
- Managing projects, setting clear, reasonable expectations and facilitating delivery and achievement.
Problem-solving and strategic judgment
- Organizing and prioritizing work despite tight deadlines, multiple customers, and competing priorities; monitoring and reporting progress towards goals.
- Leading teams to generate and implement workable and useful solutions to difficult problems.
- Exhibiting situational awareness and strategic judgment. Recognizing when sources of information and/or partners should be consulted and when to apply past experiences.
- Using intelligence, logical thinking, common sense, hard work and tenacity to solve difficult and complex challenges.
- Identifying opportunities for creative problem solving while staying within the parameters of good practice.
Proficient Performance Requirements for Knowledge and Skills
Qualification to fulfill the full range of this position’s duties requires the following knowledge, which may be gained or further developed after entering the job:
- Software applications including business intelligence tools.
- Programming languages including Python.
- Public transit planning and operation principles and specific terms and programs including the National Transit Database (NTD).
- Transit technology as a data source for transit planning analysis and research.
- Community Transit planning, marketing, and operations.
Qualification to fulfill the full range of this position’s duties requires the following skills, which may be gained or further developed after entering the job:
- The use of software applications including Remix, Tableau and Oracle PeopleSoft.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Requires travel less than 10% of the time.
- Work Activities: Using computers and computer systems to program, set up functions, enter data, or process and analyze information.
- Processing Information: Compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data.
- Communicating with Managers, Peers, or Subordinates: Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
First consideration given to applications received by May 13, 2018.
Only complete applications will be considered. A complete application includes the online application with supplemental questions answered and a cover letter.